woensdag 3 november 2010

Don't stop

8:30. The alarm goes off. I open my left eye and see sunshine. Great, I turn around, hug Julia and bury my head under the pillows. The day could wait a minute. Or 20.
8:45. The phone rings. Unknown number +61. Australia. Hi, how are you. 10 hours difference. Yes, of course. I miss you too. I know its been four months. I live in Scotland now. Its just for a while. Sure, I want to spend the holidays with you. Let's.
9:00 I hung up. Stretch. Shower. Breakfast.
11:00 Does scientific knowledge enhance environmental appreciation? If I knew the atomic complexity of the rain that's pouring down, would I enjoy it better? Are fungi more ecologically important than daffodils?
13:00 Oh yes I would love to come to the gathering on Friday. Musical instruments required? No problem. We'll tune in.
14:00 The evolution of forestry and food policy. We have come a long way and we are still nowhere near it. I get high on coffee.
17:00 Pouring rain. Last Shadow Puppets in my ears. Inappropriate shoes. A very thin jacket. I am surprisingly healthy given the lack of winter clothes.
19:00 Food. On a round table. In a dimly-lit kitchen. Tea. An attempt to study. Another to relax. Two wasted efforts. The mama's and the papa's.
00:00 In bed. With an apple. And a friend next to me. Appreciating the immensity of small things, the fast and furious speed of life.
7:00 The alarm goes off. I open my left eye and see rain.

Geen opmerkingen: