dinsdag 30 juni 2009

(S)elections

Now after Ani started the discussion I will tell you how disappointed am I. In April, three month before the elections next Sunday, I called the only embassy of Bulgaria in the whole Central America and namely the one in Mecixo DC. Three months in advance ‘cause I remeber how shattered were my Italians in Barcelona when they found out that they have to register for elections about 4 month in advance. When Berlusconi won in April, well … basically nobody was surprised. So, I called the embassy in Mexico and they told me 1) we don't know if you can vote on-line 2) we don't know if you can vote here in Mexico 3) we don't know if you have to register for elections in advance. I don't know, personally, what their job is, was and will be, but I was swearig in 3 languages on the phone. They hang up and I calmed down. I called one more time in the beginning of May – they said I have to go to Washington or any other embassy in the US cause the one in Mexico apaprently was not “prepared” to host elections. Well, let us not forget that even if it was “prepared“ for electional activity…..there is a swine flue, my dears, and no regional flights to Mexico City (that happens to be the epicentre of the questionable desease). So to sum up ,$300 Flight + $200 Visa for the USA= $500 to give my vote. Well guess what, I can’t scrap that cash out of my pockets right now. And this is how one politically oriented and informed, deeply interested in the future of her country (and all countries in general) young person happens to be on the other side of the world – you know simply chasing some ambitions- is completely helpless and will not vote.