donderdag 24 september 2009

What the hell is this???

Again, for the Nth time I am reading a sentence in a textbook and I cannot believe its contents. It’s beyond comprehension how could somebody publish this as an academic piece of work. Unbelievable, suddenly I felt the need to throw away all this educational crap and go give workshops on Environmental Respect!!! Damn you people! Just read this:
“Services provided by the environment for society:
(........)
2. The ability to act as a waste disposal system assimilating the wastes of industrial production and other human activities such as leisure and tourism
(........)"
OK, Turner (1994) and Willis (1997) What the hell are you trying to tell us here? May be that onee of the environments’s fundamental fuctions is to carry out humans waste? That’s why we have oceans and rivers on Earth – to dump garbage in them, right? What else are they there for otherwise??!?!?! Those smartasses probably have the environmnent’s signature somewhere on a contract giving its consent to serve obediently the genious of humankind. “Services provided by the environment for society”... services ?!?! And I am supposed to cite those people in my graduation research project. This cannot be true. I must not live in a world that believes such things, pretend that life is sweet and care about my Ipod, school records and future plans. Ignorance is bliss, but I don’t want any of it. (Services?!?!??! I am still shaken)

And still ... Greet the future Master of Environmental Sciences (University of Edinburg, scheduled for 2010-2012)

Source: Turner, K.R., Pearce, D. and Betaman, I. (1994) Environmental Economics: an elementary introduction, Hemel Hempstead: Harcester Wheatsheaf
Willis, I. (1997) Economics and the Environment: a signaling and incentives approach, St. Leonards, Allen and Urwin

Geen opmerkingen: