woensdag 6 januari 2010

The Beach

“We all travel thousands of miles just to watch TV and check in to somewhere with all the comforts of home, and you gotta ask yourself, what is the point of that” (The Beach)

I vaguely remember how it all started. When was the first time, the first trip, the first sublime tiredness after a full-day travelling? Perhaps it was that first trip to Sofia completely on my own when I was 14, perhaps it was the years of hitchhiking the dusty roads of Bulgaria. I don’t know. But now it is traveling, only traveling and it will be mainly traveling in the future. It is not a luxury anymore, is my study, my work, my daily-round. With both its pure pleasures and commercial crap. We do not feel the impact and weight of our decisions until only after when the “damage” is done. And so it happened, somehow, due to processes that I do or do not control, that two weeks ago, I was standing on the beach of The Beach. Right there where the movie scenes were shot. No matter how many pictures I upload, it won’t be enough. Standing there, my feet soaked into the blue crystal waters, naked, at 8 a.m., I couldn’t help it. Tears started rolling down.
In tourism we are selling dreams.
Standing on the beach was a dream come true.
I don’t even remember when I first saw that movie, but I know I have always wanted what Richards was looking for. And then I found it and I am still living the dream.
Never listen to anybody who tells you that they don’t come true.
(and yes there were sharks in the water, just like in the movie)

2 opmerkingen:

Anoniem zei

So true.

I often have a hard time explaining why is it that I leave certain places for others and not really settle anywhere. But as time passes I realize it's not the whys, but the whats that are important. There is so much to learn, do or make to confine it to one place on Earth alone. For me, this is a reason enough to keep dreaming and travelling.

Cheers from snowy Germany,
Tina

Kamiek zei

Thanks Tina, I know what you mean. You get to know a lot and you get to miss a lot at the same time, but in the end..as you put it, it is the whats and not the whys. There is way too much stuff out there, we should not stop the journey. Not yet. May be not ever (this thought frightens and excites me simultaneously)

Greets from windy China!
Kam