zondag 24 januari 2010

lifestyle issue

Right now I do nothing else but sleep, read some books, drink tea and eat rice. When I am done with all that I read some more books.
It’s a holiday and there is nothing to do. I mean nothing, no working, no studying no stress, no cortisol. I think I like cortisol. When there is too much stuff to do, in the beginning all you get is a mere tiredness, but after a while when your body begins to get accustomed to stress, you work and go about the daily duties like a robot, not feeling any fatigue at all, as if sleeping 5 hours a day and running around like a madman for another 19 is the normal human condition. Or of course, you get sick, most probably you catch a cold (I read somewhere that too much cortisol weakens the immune system, or may be my parent told me so).
But now when there is nothing to do, when days are long and lazy and books of 900 pages are finished in 4 days, even the slightest “have-to-do” seems like an immense pressure. Like shopping, cleaning, drawing up a questionnaire. Impossible.
Pure slow life. May be a bit too slow for a 22 year old. But please, do not let me dramatize everything, these days of asocial bliss will soon be over. Classes will be resumed, meeting shall begin, new exchange student will arrive and I will be stuck in a whirlpool of never ending social and academic engagements, remembering those days immersed in literature, Chinese ginger tea and tasty brown rice. I know I should fill up the backpack with some clothes and stuff and head up north, explore some new cities, wander through villages and admire picturesque Asian landscapes.... because that’s what I do! But ...instead I just wanna lay in bed, read my awesome, newly-acquired Roberto Bolaño stupefying novel and nothing more. What do you call that? Getting boring? Getting old? Wasting precious days in Asia?
Only temporally. The giant hypersocial professional tourist monster of 2010 is yet to emerge.

Geen opmerkingen: