dinsdag 20 juli 2010

All apologies

I see people throwing their present well-being in the hands of time. For the greater good, for the future well-being. I see my friends desperately trying to make sense of this whole thing. Is this what we signed up for? What's next? House. Mortgage. Family. Work. Work. Savings. I see my friends toiling day after day in a company they cannot stand, in a position that is below their capabilities, that is mocking their potential and destroying their self-esteem. Is this what we signed up for? Graduating from college just to find ourselves on a continent that's grown stale on progress, that does not value the fresh mind, but experience. Why the hell do you need 5-7 years of experience in a changing world? And for a job that is kind of on the brink of becoming useless anyways. Well, that is the issue. Europe is not changing, it is stuck somewhere in its former glory, admiring and desperately trying to maintain the policies and values that made it the Europe that we know. The truth is Europe is a big mess – politically, economically, socially. And whatever happens or does not, everybody's favorite excuse is that “We are in a crisis”. Oh, sweet crisis, please never let us go!

So, I see my friends day after day putting up with their ridiculous jobs, working their days away until the weekend comes again. Week after week. Month after month. They grew desperate, because now it is not a shitty job you do just to pay your rent while finishing your education. It is The Job. And it seems that it is not going to end soon. And how can they not grow desperate living in a country that hasn't been able to form a government in months. Where the social system is about to end up in shambles as a few major companies are going to seize power over the majority of social services. Private insurance, private education, private water, gas, electricity providers. Sweeeeet. Can't get enough of it.

What is left for us – the foreigners. We have invested so much in ourselves, we know it is not supposed to be easy at all. But may be, just saying may be, some countries should consider the idea that we are not here to steal, corrupt, make big money and then piss off (at least most of us are not). We are here to live, work, pay taxes, consume and may be bring some fresh mind to the West European aging population, 30%-40% of which is going to retire within the next 10-15 years. And I know that some people are really on friendly intimate terms with the Crisis, but without foreign labor this continent is going to hell, with all its glamor and traditions.

I am a positive thinker by default. I know that we are on a waiting list and it is just one hell of a bad luck that we have just graduated and feel high on how smart, capable and innovative thinkers we are. We know the world is supposed to land in our hands at one point. Soon, my friends soon, the HR manager who is telling you that you are not illegible for the job, cause you are lacking experience with some super easy software (it is a big deal because it took her/him at least 10 years to learn typing) is going to get a final pay check and head for the peaceful years of retirement in the south of Spain. Until then, some toiling around is necessary but Kofp hoch, they will leave us alone someday.

3 opmerkingen:

spacecake zei

The thought that scares me the most, is to end up having just that kind of a job: boring, but one that pays. Or plain boring and awfully paid. It scares the hell out of me to begin to live like that and probably think, too, that it's not that bad, because it's a crisis after all and I should be happy with what I have. I hope someone gives me a big, majestic bitch slap, if I should go down that road.

camelia zei

yeah tell me about it, gonna need a massive bitch slap myself quite soon. the organized freedom of western europe is taking over my life again.

Videlicet G. zei

Somehow, you've been digging in my head with those lines.