maandag 19 juli 2010

Distances

In order to chase away the disturbing thoughts of palm trees and coral reefs, I got an offer to visit one of the trippiest places in Holland. And when I say trippy I mean exactly that. After four years – well, just theoretically – spent in the Netherlands I am quite certain about my expectations from the Dutch countryside. Vast green meadows that can strike you only with their flatness. Occasionally you see a cow, a windmill or a river. Such a beauty it is the good old Holland. Apparently, there were still a few undiscovered territories and one of them surprised me with its ... well I really think that “trippy” is the right word to describe its characteristics.

Imagine walking in a normal North European forest and suddenly you come across a huge sandy dune, surrounded by bush and more of the same painfully familiar North European forest. Where did the sand come from? Are we still in Holland or we missed a turn somewhere and wandered off to the south of Sudan. You see, sandy dunes in the woods is not a common sight in Noord Brabant and we just had to sit in one of the tens of green oases of the Dutch Sahara contemplating this unusual landscape. As we sat there we expected a giraffe to loaf about and feed on the tree leaves. None appeared whatsoever. I though a couple of Joshua Trees will be a fine completion of our unsettling surroundings.

The motto of the University – well that's positive thinking – that I have gust graduated from is Discover Your World. It is amazing that I have spent so much time in this area and I have never been to this place, just a few miles away from the centre. May be the coolest places are just under our noses. No need to travel thousands of miles in order to discover the world. The world is right there in front of my eyes. I used the opportunity to take a couple of shots, just to have some equilibrium among my albums. Too many beaches, sunsets, monkeys and temples. Its now time for forests, pine cones, churches and city lights.




Geen opmerkingen: