zondag 22 februari 2009

Earthlings



I have never had a pet.
I have never been a vegetarian though.
I have never had real leather clothes.
I have never liked the circus and the zoo.
I will never support experiments and research on animals.


This documentary made me reflect on how I perceive animals - as a mere renewable, unquestionable source of food, clothes and companion -and not as fellow earthlings. Something somewhere went terribly wrong with us. Our intelligence, dominance, achievements. Our ambitions, values, dreams, reality. They all doomed us to be “the most detestable of all species”, “the only kind that will inflict pain for sport”. I don’t know if this movie will have the same effect on you but please, please watch it!!! I am also not sure if I could possibly become totally vegetarian as I always supported the view that we are carnivorous and meat is a healthy and indispensable part of our diet. But how healthy could be flesh stuffed with fear, horror, pain and more pain while is being slaughtered alive? Are there really laws and regulations on how meat is produced? Are there really complied to and who takes care of that?

May be I am just traumatized by the movie. May be it’s a manipulative campaign by some kind of sneaky corporate mission. May be, may be…. I don’t know. But I will try to do some research on the topic and be less ignorant. I hope it’s possible.

“As long as there are slaughter houses, there will be battlefields” Leo Tolstoy

1 opmerking:

kabomy zei

Nice:) being vegetarian reacts in your perception of the world. It's not some strange kind of diet.