maandag 10 mei 2010

Booked by books

The April/ early May book review and books that remind me why do I love reading



They are tossers, aren't they, men like Martin? They think women are like fucking laptops or whatever, like My old one is knackered and anyways you can get ones that are slimmer and do more stuff now.
(Nick Hornby, A Long Way Down)

Ex-wives: really, everybody should have at least 1.
(Nick Hornby, A Long Way Down)

An then he told me that people who were brain-dead like George Bush or Tony Blair, and the people who judged Pop Idol, never offered themselves up to the gods of Life and Death at all, and therefore they could never prove that they have the right to live, and we shouldn't obey their laws or recognize their decisions (like Pop Idol judges). So we don't have to bomb countries if they tell us to and if they say that Fat Michelle or whoever won Pop Idol, we don't have to listen to them. We can just say, No she didn't.
(Nick Hornby, A long Way Down)

In China today, Bill Gates is Britney Spears. In America today, Britney Spears is Britney Spears- and that is our problem.
(Thomas Freedman, The World is Flat, on the differences between Chinese and American idols)

"I think I'll be a clown when I get grown," said Dill.  "Yes, sir, a clown.... There ain't one thing in this world I can do about folks except laugh, so I'm gonna join the circus and laugh my head off."  "You got it backwards, Dill," said Jem.  "Clowns are sad, it's folks that laugh at them."  "Well, I'm gonna be a new kind of clown.  I'm gonna stand in the middle of the ring and laugh at the folks."
(Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird)

Geen opmerkingen: