maandag 9 november 2009

Food Shock

If there is one food that can make me vomit continuously, this is the durian. The durian is a fruit that grows all over South East Aisa and is distinctive for its impressive size, torn-covered surface, unique taste and smell. It is reffered to as the King of Fruits but it is banned from public transport, hotels and administrative buildings. Imagine....
My first encounter with durian was two months ago when touring Macau with some classmates, a friend of mine came to me with an icecream box, grinning mysteriously. He offered me a spoonfull of a yellow normal-looking ice cream. I grew suspicious but curiosity drove me towards what I now remember as the most disturbing taste in my life. As soon as it touched my mouth, I stopped breathing; I stopped moving for a few seconds. My nervous system was shacken up. By this tiny little piece of ice cream which taste resembled rotten garlic, onions and baby vomit. But worse, much worse than that. I looked around for a place to spit it out but there was none and did the impossible. Now I could tell if somebody has eaten durian from half a kilometer. Its stink is all-embracing and never-ending. And everybody loves it here in Asia – they use it in cakes, ice creams, juices or just fresh. The king of fruit. W.T.F. Just a few descriptions of durian that I have found.

“Its odor is best described as pig-shit, turpentine and onions, garnished with a gym sock. It can be smelled from yards away” (Winokur, Jon, 2003)

"Its taste can only be described as...indescribable, something you will either love or despise. ...Your breath will smell as if you'd been French-kissing your dead grandmother." (Burdain, A., 2006)

Geen opmerkingen: